Caterpillar Digital Team Fleet Management Software Design • Software Engineering Figma Prototype
Caterpillar Software Design Case Study
The Caterpillar fleet management software development was a user interface and user experience project as part of Caterpillar's World Usability Day contest. The software was conceptualized and prototyped using Figma and utilized Caterpillar’s brand standards and design library. This project was a team effort, which was presented to the Caterpillar headquarters team and my team won first place in the contest. My role as design lead was to create the software archetype, interface, and prototype. Data analytics, journey maps, and personas were provided by Caterpillar to construct the software. After development, the software was tested by three users, who use fleet management software, from Caterpillar's construction company clients.
- Used Excel sheets and equipment would get double booked for projects
- The desired outcome was to make an Excel-type program to track assets across multiple construction projects
- The project needs to control asset placement and show maintenance, scheduling, and reassigning assets
Roles & Responsibilities
Here are the basic tasks we will want users to complete during usability testing:
- You would like to create a new project and request the types of assets needed for the project.
- You would like to see what assets are available for assignments and assign assets to that new project.
- You would like to view the schedule to see what assets in your fleet are assigned to projects and when maintenance is coming due for those assets.
- You would like to edit the assignment of an asset to a project.
User Testing Results
- Add breadcrumbs to our navigation to prevent user confusion.
- Make every action available from the project dashboard (reassignment, etc.)
- Instead of using bulk actions, put in a permanent button to allow the user to add an individual asset.
- Include one big action button to assign the assets at the top so that one does not need to scroll down
- Fix heading titles to be more descriptive and help with navigation/consistency
- Edit the usage of the project dashboard
- Remove the timeline coloring.
- Have a dedicated color to see what asset needs maintenance
- Adjust the naming of the Calendar legend
User & Audience
The users were project and equipment managers of large construction companies who own Caterpillar Equipment assets. Often these companies have 25,000+ assets to manage in their fleets.
Scope & Constraints
Outcomes & Results
- Rework the Calendar View screen to show an organized table for maintenance while keeping a calendar pop-up for filtering by date range
- Adjust the flow during the change from asset assignment to the project dashboard
- Add prototype functionality with the breadcrumbs
- Remove the expandable/shrink option for the tab bar
- Increase the readability on the reassignment to project screen (left-alignment of text)